To solve this problem follow these:
- Remove/purge current fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle. We have to reconfigure and install this again for things to work. To do that, follow the commands:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates
- Now reboot the system and login back again.
- Install the Linux generic headers (It comes along with 14.04 but one of my friends had to do this before continuing or else he was getting errors. So its better to try installing this):
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
- Now lets install back the drivers
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
- Once the installation is complete, make sure you give this command before rebooting
sudo aticonfig --initial
- If you are using AMD switchable graphics (just like I do) instead of the above command, give this
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
- Reboot once again. Once you login back, you can configure your graphics card like you want.